by the law office of:
Kennedy Karlson, Esq.
to practice before the Court of New York State
the Federal Courts of the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of
Juris Doctor, Syracuse University School of Law, 1990
Admitted to practice law before the Courts of the State of New York, 1991
Admitted to practice law before
the United States District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts of the
Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of New York.
beginning to practice law in 1991 I have handled a wide variety of
matters relating to Housing Law, evictions, bankruptcies and other
matters. What is listed below is just a few examples of some
of the work that I
have done on behalf of Tenants. None of this
should be misconstrued as any kind of assurance that your case will
out similarly. Every lawyer who isn't afraid to fight for their clients
looses some of their cases. I hate to lose, but it can happen. Any
experienced lawyer who tells you they've never lost a case is either
lying or is
too afraid to take anything to court.
- Won Abatements of Rent, up to 90%.
- Won Holdover cases.
- Won Non-Payment cases.
- Won Rent Abatements.
- Won dismissals of cases because the Petitioner failed to
list the claim in HIS bankruptcy.
- Won Dismissals of many Eviction cases.
- Won Non-Primary Residence cases.
- Won Succession Rights.
- Won Illegal Sublet cases (I prefer the term Unauthorized
- Won Illegal Lock-Out cases.
- Won Commercial L&T cases.
- Won Repairs.
- Won with DHCR.
- Won Rent Reduction Orders.
- Won reinstatements of NYCHA tenancy after
filing Article 78 Proceeding.
- Successfully negotiated with NYCHA.
- Successfully negotiated with Landlords.
- Successfully negotiated Buy-Outs. (That's where
they pay you to leave)
- Successfully negotiated Time to Leave (with and without
- Successfully negotiated waiver of all rent due in exchange
- Successfully negotiated Rent Abatements with Landlords.
- Represented groups of Tenants.
- Had numerous Order to Show Cause signed by a
Judge to stay eviction, at least temporarily.
- Chapter 11 confirmed and successfully
- Chapter13 confirmed and successfully
completed, even in the Eastern District of New York. (The
Bankruptcy Trustees there, and one in particular, are
tougher than elsewhere.)
- Successfully Defended a Client against claims
for $99,000 in
third party legal fees by appealing the matter from the US Bankruptcy
Court to the United States District Court.
(Reported case, remotely eviction-related).
- State appeals.
- Successfully litigated the issue of
the amount owing.
- Successfully defended clients against
the Landlord's claims for legal fees.
- Successfully negotiated the issue of
the amount owing.
- Raised the issue of Discrimination effectively, when appropriate.
- Represented Tenants in court outside New York City.
- Represented Tenants in everything from Million
Dollar Co-op's to Public Housing, SRO's, Rent Controlled Apartments,
Rent Stabilized Apartments, unregulated apartments, Section 8, TIL
(Tenants in Leasing) buildings, Article 7A Administrator run buildings,
buildings in foreclosure, illegal multiple dwellings, illegal penthouse
units, illegal basement units, non-profit run buildings,
HFDC's, Live - Work Spaces, Stores, Restaurants, Offices, Nail Salons
- Won many other cases that are not
related to eviction.
All the Chapters, Choice of Timing
Types of Evictions
Abatements & Rent Reductions
Holdovers & Non-Payments
NYCHA: Public Housing
Types of Evictions Do It Yourself Section
Co-op's, Illegal Units, Roommates